Thursday, April 15, 2010

Happy tax day! What are you thankful for?

Todd Flanders: Daddy, what do taxes pay for?
Ned Flanders: Oh, why, everything! Policemen, trees, sunshine! And lets not forget the folks who just don't feel like working, God bless 'em!

The tax man's taken all my dough,
And left me in my stately home,
Lazing on a sunny afternoon.
And I can't sail my yacht,
He's taken everything I've got,
All I've got's this sunny afternoon.
- The Kinks, "Sunny Afternoon"

If I were rich, I might hate paying taxes a little more. Until that day though, I'll be thankful for the subsidized buses that take me to work, the roads they drive on, the police officers who protect me from crime, the firefighters who will put out fires if my apartment burns down, the soldiers who protect my country from foreign invasion, and the teachers who gave me the education without which I never could have succeeded.

Oh, and also the refund check.



I like giving credit to the perpetually underrated but sneakily famous Kinks, but no tax day post could be complete without an homage to the most famous tax song of all time:

1 comment:

  1. We are proud to present a splendid writing company for university students who are sometimes deadlocked with their tasks. No need to worry about timely assistance on any given problem or theoretical theme of any kind. We can easily solve all of your task with online research papers just like Papersmart.net making the most strong efforts. We do our best to enlighten ideas properly in formal and literary forms, as required at the place you study in.

    ReplyDelete